The Salaspils Memorial is located on the site of the Salaspils Camp, erected by the
occupying Nazi regime and that was in operation from 1941-1944.
The emotionally impressive ensemble was unveiled in 1967 during Soviet occupation
and covers 25 hectares. The designers of this exemplar of modern
architecture are architects Gunārs Asaris, Olģerts Ostenbergs, Ivars Strautmanis,
Oļegs Zakamennijs and sculptors Ļevs Bukovskis, Oļegs Skarainis, Jānis Zariņš.
The creators received the highest Soviet honour - the Lenin Award -
in 1970. Today it is part of the cultural canon of Latvia.